Use of Website
The contents of this website are informational only, intended to provide patient education and not specific medical advice. For specific medical questions or advice, please consult your physician.
Clicking on a link to another site will take you out of Collin County Sleep website. We do not endorse or control information contained on any linked sites.
Use of E-Mail From Website
Collin County Sleep Diagnostics encourages the use of email for communication between staff and patients. Please realize though, private health information/dialogue may be sent via email even though we use a very secure email server. Therefore, we ask that you read the information below thoroughly and fully understand the potential risks, conditions and instructions before you make the choice whether or not to communicate any information via e-mail from this website.
Please note: E-mails sent from this site via the contact form will not be forwarded to your physician. For specific medical advice or questions, please contact your physician directly.
Risks of Using E-Mail
Collin County Sleep Diagnostics offers patients the opportunity to communicate by e-mail. However, transmitting patient information by e-mail has a number of risks that patients should consider. These include, but are not limited to the following risks:
- E-mail can be circulated, forwarded, and stored in numerous paper and electronic files.
- E-mail can be immediately broadcast worldwide and be received by many intended and unintended recipients.
- E-mail senders can easily misaddress an e-mail.
- E-mail is easier to falsify than handwritten or signed documents.
- Backup copies of e-mail may exist even after senders or recipients have deleted their copy.
- Employers and on-line services have a right to archive and inspect e-mails transmitted through their systems.
- E-mail can be intercepted, altered, forwarded, or used without authorization or detection.
- E-mail can be used as evidence in court.
Conditions for the Use of E-mail
Collin County Sleep Diagnostics will use reasonable means to protect the security and confidentiality of e-mail information sent and received. However, because of the risks outlined above, Collin County Sleep Diagnostics cannot guarantee the security or confidentiality of e-mail communication, and will not be liable for improper disclosure of confidential information that is not caused by Collin County Sleep Diagnostics’ intentional misconduct. Thus, patients must consent to the use of e-mail for patient information. Consent to the use of e-mail includes agreement with the following conditions:
- All e-mails to or from the patient concerning diagnosis or treatment will be copied and pasted or printed out and scanned and made part of the patient’s medical record. Because they are a part of the medical record, other individuals authorized to access the medical record, such as staff and billing personnel, will have access to those e-mails.
- Collin County Sleep Diagnostics, may forward e-mails internally to the practice’s staff and agents as necessary for diagnosis, treatment, reimbursement and other handling. Collin County Sleep Diagnostics will not, however, forward e-mails to independent third parties without the patient’s prior written consent, except as authorized or required by law.
- Although Collin County Sleep Diagnostics will endeavor to read and respond promptly to an e-mail from the patient, Collin County Sleep Diagnostics cannot guarantee that any particular e-mail will be read and responded to in any particular period of time. Thus, the patient shall not use e-mail for medical emergencies or time-sensitive matters.
- If the patient’s e-mail requires or invites a response from Collin County Sleep Diagnostics and the patient has not received a response within a reasonable time period, within 72 hours, it is the patient’s responsibility to follow up to determine whether the intended recipient received the e-mail and when the recipient will respond.
- The patient should not use e-mail for communication regarding sensitive medical information such as information regarding sexually transmitted diseases, AIDS/HIV, mental health, developmental disability or substance abuse.
- The patient is responsible for informing Collin County Sleep Diagnostics of any types of information the patient does not want sent by e-mail, in addition to those set out in Conditions for the Use of E-mail, #5.
- The patient is responsible for protecting his/her password or other means of access to e-mail. Collin County Sleep Diagnostics is not liable for breaches of confidentiality caused by the patient or any third party.
- Collin County Sleep Diagnostics shall not engage in e-mail communication that is unlawful, such as unlawfully practicing medicine across state lines.
- It is the patient’s responsibility to follow up and/or schedule an appointment as warranted